Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Cranberry Sauce

My sister has just hinted that I am not posting often enough. So here is my Cranberry Sauce recipe. I got it from Carol at www.quiltuniversity.com

Cranberry Orange Chutney

Skin from orange, chopped fine, boiled quickly in a couple of tablespoons of water. Pour out water and then glaze with a tablespoon of sugar. Then add everything else.

I small orange or tangerine, in sections
1/4 cup orange juice
12 oz bag cranberries
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup chopped unpeeled apple (about 1 apple)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until berries begin to pop. Chill until serving time.

I have never added the walnuts because one of my friends, with whom we always have Thanksgiving, doesn't like nuts.

This year I cut the orange into sections. It made the whole thing watery.

We never seem to have orange juice, so I add whatever is in the fridge. This year it was Treetop Orange Passionfruit. Other orange mixtures have worked also. This years version was especially good.

This makes enough for Christmas, when we also have turkey.

I've talked to several people whose mothers believed that the canned cranberry jell stuff that is sold as sauce was good enough. I've always made my own because I disagreed with her on this. (Not to mention several other points). I wonder how many people in similar circumstances have converted to the real stuff. I should probably ask my own brothers and sisters!

Of course, having 5 kids probably affects your decision making for meals. But it was the only time we had mashed potatoes from real potatoes!

Also, having 5 teenagers passing judgement on new reicpes -- in typical teenage diplomatic style -- dampens your enthusiasm for trying new things!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home