Sunday, November 30, 2008

First Sunday in Advent




I am religiously undergoing rack therapy and sewing therapy for my back. Here are the results of the sewing therapy: 5 placemats and 6 corresponding napkins. There are more to do of course, but I can complete those at my leisure (and do the hand sewing in front of a football game). These were done in time for the first Sunday in Advent. The advent wreath for this year is the top picture. Kind of a modern wreath with country style npakins and placemats, but that is Ok by me.
That thin black strip around the middle of the placemat is on 1/4 inch wide. I found a really neat way to do this, courtesy of a class I took from Ruth Blanchett at www.quiltuniversity.com. For the second seam, have your quarter inch foot follow the stitching line of the first seam, not the edge of the fabric. Works almost perfectly!
I can now do all sorts of things without thinking or planning the moves: Sit and get up from less than ideal chairs, including the toilet, go up and down stairs (still carefully), turning around, even some bending over. I still avoid picking up things from the floor. I can stand for long periods of time. I can sleep with my husband in the bed. I can roll over in bed. I do not have to prop myself up to wash counters, but I do for unloading the bottom shelf of the dishwasher. Reaching to top shelves is interesting, even with a stool. I used to back into the car, now I can get in normally. Last Wednesday I was able to walk the length of the mall and back without my back complaining; a week before I only made it half of one length.
I haven't taken ibuprofen since Thursday, when we ate Thanksgiving Dinner at a friends house. Their chairs are different, and my back definitely complained.
So, I think the sewing therapy is working!
OK, OK, The Rack is working also!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home