Wednesday, November 12, 2008

You are officially old when...

...you complain about your illnesses.

Last week, while squatting to dry off unmentionable parts after a shower, I spread my legs a little too far and did something to my right hip. Painful, but I can still walk, if not completely upright. Sitting down while driving was not a problem, so I spent the day hobbling errands. (I certainly couldn't run them.) After ingesting the maximum amount of tylenol (which only helped a little) and a muscle relaxant (a glass of white wine) just before bedtime, I went to sleep.

The next morning I woke up and the hip was fine. The other hip and my lower back were complaining, so I started the tylenol right away. It was absolute torture going downstairs to get two suitcases to loan to a friend who is now in South Korea. When I delivered them to her house, I collapsed at the top of the outside stairs and totally freaked out her husband. I managed to hobble through the rest of the errands and get home OK. But, after the last tylenol and wine, I was lying in bed when the muscles started spasming and I could not move at all without pain. So I yelled for my daughter, who gave me the phone and I called 911 and went to the hospital at midnight. Came home via taxi at 2:00 am, dosed with narcotics and a real muscle relaxant and a prescription for even more.

That was election day. The only thing that went right that day was one referendum, one congressman, a few local issues, and my sister got a clearance for work, and now has health insurance.

I have been on the mend since then. I can now get out of bed normally, although I spend the first couple hours of the day creaking.

Now the good news: the best chair to sit in while the muscles warm up and get un-creaky is: (fanfare) the one in front of the sewing machine! Sewing as therapy!! I'm getting my Christmas sewing done early!!! No guilt about not cleaning up either!!!!

In the meantime, both kids got sick. But I'm sewing!!!!!

The song that will not get itself out of my head is Carly Simon's "Haven't Got Time For the Pain"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home