Saturday, October 25, 2008

Plum bread

I just finished making my annual batches of plum bread. This is a recipe the makes everybody happy with me, especially several friends when I leave out the walnuts. A little bit of high math shows that each loaf has 1 cube (to be precise, 1 rectangular solid) of butter and 2 eggs, so this is definitely not for the cardiac challenged! I use freestone plums that have a purple skin and are yellow-orange on the inside, one local variety is President Plums. They turn red when cooked. I imagine almost any variety will work.

Guaranteed not to last long. I made ten loaves this year. They are all spoken for. I didn't put any in the freezer, mainly because I split a side of beef with a friend and the freezer needs to be cleaned out to make room.


Plum Bread
Makes: two loaves

1 cup butter
2 cup sugar
----mix
4 eggs
1 Tsp vanilla (if you run out, almond is OK)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp soda
1 tsp lemon peel
------add
3 c flour
3/4 c plain yogurt
---------addm alternating so that the batter is workable
2 c diced plums
1 c chopped nuts
-----------add
350 degrees, 55 minutes.

Somehow, I seem to always add time in my oven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home