Saturday, November 22, 2008

Back Update











After the doctor saw my back x-rays, he said that it appeared that two of my discs were, if not ruptured, at least leaking. The sharp stabby pains down my left leg seemed to confirm the diagnosis. So now I appear in a clinic and get put on the scientific version of The Rack, in which my spine is stretched out for 25 minutes at a time. During this time the discs are in their proper shape and are allowed to heal.

I think it is working.

Ibuprofen is great also.

Today I only took two, 12 hours apart, as preventatives. I'm only twinging a little.

I also am not: cleaning tubs, cleaning floors, dusting, vacuuming and tidying up.

But just in case none of these are the reason I am better, I am continuing the sewing therapy. I finished two baby quilts, (one is pictured above, it is based on a Mary Ellen Hopkins pattern) 9 of one item, am working on 6 of another, (these are presents, so I will post pictures after Christmas) and then 12 placemats (with corresponding napkins.) I have been wanting new placemats for years now, but when you start your Christmas present sewing on December 1 (and one time ended it on December 25 about 12:30 am), it doesn't leave a lot of time or ambition for anything as trivial as something new for yourself.

Hopefully my back will be better in January ("The Rack" ends the day before Christmas) so I can clean up my sewing corner. I am missing my all purpose sewing machine foot, a roll of freezer paper, at least one book, maybe two, a bobbin of off-white thread and several fabrics that I want to use for quilts.

Of course, then my family will figure that I can once again tidy, dust, wash floors, clean bathtubs and vacuum. I will have to be sneaky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home