Friday, December 13, 2013

Now that I am home, normality has been restored.

I am not into normal.  Maybe that is why I like Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.  As I have said before, all these Europeans walk past elegant statues and castles and 1000 year old buildings as if it was normal.  Sometimes you just need new eyes to see things.
 
 
The first day in Paris after walking through the Tuileries, I saw this and asked Guillaume:  "Why do you have a pencil and compass sculpture in Paris?"  He did not see what I was talking about because he sees that as the Egyptian obelisk and the beginning of a Ferris wheel that is built every year in November.  Here it is, only three days later.  They clearly have a lot of practice building it.
 
 
Versailles can be completely overwhelming with its opulence and gold.  Even the window latches are fancy:
:
This was in the hall of mirrors.  (Yes, I have pictures of that, but you can find better ones with boring commentary somewhere else on the internet.  I am willing to bet you won't find window latch pictures.  At least not very many compared with the chandeliers and marble and naked statues and the floor and the view from the window.)
 
And then sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time:
How the sculptor got the boy to look at the seagull, I don't know.
 
Oh look!  It's a Greek temple in the middle of Paris.  No, it is a Catholic Church.  I suppose we should have gone inside to see what that looked like.

Storefront on the Champs-Elysees.  Huh?
 
Stingrays, painted on the asphalt of an overlook in Hungary.  A landlocked country.

A popular statue in Bratislava.
 

 
 
 
With buildings and sculptures like this, Rotterdam clearly defines weird.  It was not difficult to photograph strange things, but I had to watch myself since I only had 1593 pictures left on the camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home