Monday, December 23, 2013

Netherlands....sort of

I have said almost nothing about the Netherlands this trip...so here goes.

The Netherlands is mostly below sea level.  There is a lot of water.  The buildings are cool.  It was foggy for two days so there are no pictures from those days.  I got my chocolate letters.  Rotterdam has really weird architecture.  I went to Vlissingen to see the ocean and I saw fog.

What I liked about the Netherlands:

I played Zombie Fluxx with Stephan and his sister and her friend...in English (They all speak English over there.)  -- just like we used to do when he was living with me.  I talked about everything with Stephan - just like we used to do.  I even woke him up once  -- just like I used to do to be sure he got to school on time.

(I woke him up to make sure he took me to the train on time so I could come home...and we missed it.  But it meant I could talk to him longer.)

We went to his parent's restaurant, and watched him make sure all the other patrons had what they needed.  (Note to Stephan:  don't do this when you are on a first date!!!)  I watched him care for his two month old sister. (Note to Stephan:  This would be OK on the first date.)  I got to know him a little better.

This is all valuable to me.

I had promised one of my exchange students that I would take some presents to her family...I had imagined a meet, greet, and be on our way.  Instead I talked with a complete stranger for 2 1/2 hours.  This was a most enjoyable conversation.

On this trip, I walked around foreign cities.  I took a lot of pictures of buildings that are different than what I have here.  They are cool. But I have forgotten the names of most of them, and sometimes I even remember the city wrong!  (OK, not Notre Dame.  Or the Eiffel tower.  Or the Hungarian Parliament.  Or the funicular (this actually a train car that goes up a hill, not a nonsense refrain for a children's song) up to Sacre Coeur.  and a few others.)  I did what you are supposed to do in foreign cities, like walk along the Seine or go to Prague Castle or eat croissants (at the right time of day).

But now, having been home over a month, what I remember is...Raphael, our tour guide who could take one of my straight lines and turn it into a great joke...Meeting new AYUSA colleagues and telling exchange student horror stories (and a few great ones)...Talking with Miriam (another AYUSA CR whom I haven't seen since Taiwan in 2006)...Seeing that Guillaume has grown another inch, meeting his family, talking about his sister who is an exchange student in the US this year...Sebastien rescuing me from the metro, and talking with him in cafes...Getting completely lost in the Netherlands with Stephan, and non-stop talking.

When I go back, I will go back for the people.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home