Tuesday, July 06, 2010

update #4: computer

Well, we are almost up and running normally. And by that I mean without backups.

We have Quicken to balance our checkbook, and determine just how far off from the budget we really are. The last version we purchased was for Windows 95. Jack bought Quicken deluxe 2010, which promised an upgrade from all previous versions. I completely understand why they would not support a 15 year old program, but whatever. So I called them up. First we had to install quicken 95 on the games computer, because it still has Windows XP. Then we had to connect it to the internet, upgrade the data files to the windows 98 version, and move them to the new computer and upgrade the intermediate files to Windows 7. But it can be done, and I only spent a couple hours at most putting in all the category data. So I know how much money we have!!!

The scanner, without which I would have to buy a fax machine and pay long distance charges, is a whole other story. I had a Canon scanner. There is no driver for windows 7. (or vista, but that is no big loss.) They are not writing one. Instead, they offered me 10% off a new scanner which had already been through two updates. I can (and do) get better sales than 10%. So we bought an Epson, and installed it and it is not talking to the computer. But sending faxes is lower on the priority list than knowing how much money I have, particularly at bill paying time. So that is next. When that is up and running, you will get pictures.

The best success story is that all the pictures for 10 years are now on this computer. I'm not sure what kind of medium to store them on permanently, because I keep running into everybody's opinions, and nothing stands out.

So, life is back to normal. Except that normal always seems to change. My biggest problem now is finding homes for exchange students. I jumped in over my head again and have 4 students with a school, but without homes. And I want to place 4 more after that!

1 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Marion, there is no such thing as permanent storage, just longer lasting. Burn them to CD's or DVD's, making two copies of each disc. Make sure they can be read on other computers. Keep the second copy 'off-site', at a trusted friend or family's house (safe deposit box?). An external hard drive in addition to optical storage is not too paranoid. Of course, if there is another paradigm shift in storage media, then you may need to start all over from year one. Hmmm, how is holographic storage coming along....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home