Monday, June 21, 2010

Update #2: toe

There are no pictures with this post either, but that is a good thing. (Are you listening, Aaron D?)

It is healing nicely, thank you.

Life without a big toenail is just great if you don't have to wear shoes. With shoes, you discover that little piece of keratin (which, we just learned, is the same material as antlers and horns) provides just enough protection that you don't notice walking. Unless you are stupid enough to wear shoes that are too small or that have pointy toes, and no one has ever called me stupid. At least not for that reason.

Last week, I wore shoes for 5 straight days. I walked around two malls, two zoos, two beaches (does anyone see a pattern here?) and two Mt. St. Helens visitors' centers. Only the malls and the Johnston Ridge visitor center were at all level. This means I was going downhill on two bad knees, and shoving my nail-less toe into the front end of the shoe. At one point I decided to descend to the beach backwards, until Jack said "Watch out for the slug!"

Which wasn't there.

I favored the toe so badly that the left leg began to complain and I began to walk really funny.

I've been wearing flip flops ever since and every body part is happy with me.



Well, except the toe nail, the gall bladder and the wisdom teeth, which I no longer have.



Next order of business: find sandals that I can walk a lot in.

1 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

In the third paragraph I hope you meant 'Life without a big toe NAIL is just great...'. And how did you manage to lose a toenail?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home