Saturday, June 19, 2010

update #1: computer

There is no picture with this post because we have a new computer. Before all the files could be transferred properly (including the photo editing software), the old computer died. It apparently was jealous of the new computer (an HP Touchsmart, with the entire computer in the screen), and when we had a power glitch the day after the HP came home, the old computer refused to boot up.

On the old hard drive, I had irresistably cute photos of the grandkid and other kids and pets, and these pictures dated back ten years; e-mail addresses; all the exchange student files (most of which I needed to delete anyway, and those that I need to keep I can retrieve); financial files, most of which can be recreated; and more. There are backups, but I'm not sure how old they are.

Jack has ordered a hard drive enclosure, so if the hard drive is not the problem we can get everything back. If the hard drive is a problem, then we have to pay money to get things back.

Ignorance is bliss, and now I am neither.

But I really like the new computer! I will post a picture when we get that up and running. I think the financial bit is first priority, since I really don't know how much money we have.

1 Comments:

At 9:06 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

If the new computer can have a second hard drive installed you can backup to it, usually just one HD dies at a time. Better is an external HD that can be moved to a new computer. Best is online storage, even if you lose the computer you still have your backed up files available. But you must remember to back them up. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home