Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Comfort Zones

I just read a quote attributed to glass artist Josh Simpson: "As an artist, it is important to find your comfort zone and then stay out of it."

Seems to me this applies to life in general: cooking, relationships, science.

Not ethics.

Well, not usually.

As a natural born rut person, it is important to get into your comfort zone...when you need comfort. Which,for me as a natural born rut person, is more often that most others.

Perhaps the most important thing is to have a good head on your shoulders, and recognize when and where you need to be. This keeps you out of trouble and out of boredom.

At this point, be grateful that you are not operating on the quantum level, so you can know both (when and where) simultaneously. Although God (who really doesn't play dice with the universe) does have a way of yanking that rug out from under your feet so that you truly recognize the safest place to be is in the center of His will.

If these thoughts appear uncoordinated, it is because I am not a good writer, and it will take me a week to get these into a coherent paragraph.

In the meantime, I am going to go organize all my old files on my new computer. Order is definitely my comfort zone. For the time being, chaos (which is not my comfort zone) reigns on my desk and hopefully it will not interfere with paying all the right bills in two days. Which is not a comfort zone, but merely necessary.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home