Saturday, April 07, 2007

Dude Ranches...







...are the best vacation ever.

We went to the Bar M Ranch near Pendleton, Oregon. (http://www.barmranch.com)

After getting over my usual pre-vacation jitters (Is there anyway I can get out of this? Will my husband take everybody without me?), I had a great time. I had thought about taking my sewing machine (haven't made anything of note since November, except practice circles on orange fabrics). My husband and daughters swore that there was no table in the cabin on which to put it.

They lied.

But if I had brought it, I would have exploded. The food is that good and that plentiful. I needed to walk everywhere just to be able to have room for the next meal.

My husband and exchange student are letting the horses drink water (like they knew how to stop them). My younger daughter is on a palomino named Miko, and my older daughter is on a horse named Roscoe who liked walking. But he liked standing still better.

I like the trail rides best (except the part where the horse decides to walk right next to the edge of the trail.) Everyone else likes arena riding, where they get to trot and canter and everything. And learn to sit up straight! The exchange student has spent years riding English, and so she had to change a little, but her horse definitely had a workout!
To me, the best part of this vacation is that you get to know the other guests at the ranch. This is a social no-no at any other place.

Sewing is scheduled for next Monday, but it is only a prom dress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home