Saturday, February 24, 2007

East Meets West




One of my favorite gifts I recieved from my host family was a series of wood carvings. These are wonderful pieces made with camphor wood, and they smell so nice! I don't have a good translation for the four characters, but put together they mean: "Good luck, all year long!" A place will be found in my home, as soon as life settles down. Or perhaps I had better say by the end of March.
I made my first Taiwan commemorative quilt based on these carvings. I photographed each one of them, then traced the character and the circle onto wonder under (which I had lying around). (Pat myself on the head, I even remembered to reverse the characters!). I ironed the whole piece onto fabric, and then cut out the circle and character, and ironed them onto a background fabric. Sewed everything together (and checked to make sure they are right side up). I machine quilted leaves on the white background. I wish I had a better picture, but it went to my host family in Taiwan before I realized I needed to re-photograph. For one thing, the characters and circles are red.
It is called "East Meets West": Eastern characters, Western craft.
I hope my Chinese "penmanship" is legible!

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home