Friday, November 03, 2006

And back to the other religion, shopping


Shopping as a religion...

This is a picture of the Shihlin night market, one of many in Taipei. It is interesting shopping there, because you can dicker with the shop owner. I will always wonder if I could have gotten things for less than I actually paid for them. I do tend to thin of value in US dollars, and $10 for a t-shirt is OK.

The black t-shirt on the right side of the display says "Taiwanese." I got it for my daughter, who will wear anything black. I wanted the one that says "I Love Taiwan", (which I think is the one next to it) with the heart for the word love, but that shop owner gave me the wrong one. Possibly because the police were coming to close down illegal shops and she was sort of in a hurry.

If they were really serious about closing illegal shops, they would prevent them from opening in the first place.

Actually, you can dicker with the sales ladies even in upscale department stores. One of my friends got a necklace with a sticker price of $800. What she actually paid was $387, with a chain to hold it thrown in for free. She has had practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home