Monday, January 01, 2007

finally, museums


I guess I should talk about museums. We went to two: the Taipei County Yingge Ceramics Museum and the Tittot Glass museum.

Here are their websites:
http://www.ceramics.tpc.gov.tw/econtent/index.asp

www.tittot.com (it is not working when I write this, but I know I've been there!)


I have nothing really amusing to say about either, except that they are worth a visit and worth far more than the two hours we spent at them (but staying longer would have made us late to the next meal). The guide at the ceramics museum was great -- she asked us questions about the exhibits and kept us thinking, which appeals to me. The one display that amused all of us was the modern toilets: apparently there is a local firm that manufactures them.

At the glass museum we could make our own glass beads, paint glass...and help the tour guide improve his pronunciation of "Mesopotamia".

The most unique place I've been (which really isn't saying much) is Taiwan Storyland. Again, here is the website: http://www.taiwanstoryland.com/ Warning: it is all in Chinese, except for the word "enter". Someone decided to recreate Taipei of 1965...you can listen to descriptions of the police, dentist, doctor, school, hotels (in English!), you can eat there, buy food that was common then, buy a dish of ice cream that must have contained two quarts and was stacked at least a foot high; there was some World War 2 history. It was a great place to wander and actually sit down!

My regret? That I didn't buy more glass and pottery. It is a little hard to go back just for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home