Thursday, August 05, 2010

beaches


Part of the vacation 6 weeks ago had to be the beach. Two reasons: because Tami is from the mountains and because I grew up on a beach. But the beach can't be just any beach, it has to have stuff on it. Like crabs and barnacles and seaweed and rocks and...stuff.

It isn't that I am not into swimming (you'll find me in the river most evenings), but "swimming beaches" are boring. They have only sand. I grew up in Puget Sound (in the summers, anyway). (and yes, that preposition is correct!) I may have learned to swim in a concrete pool, but I spent the entire summer (when we weren't "riding through the woods on our horses") on a beach covered with stuff. I swam in tennis shoes. I caught crabs -- once they got over an inch or so, they pinched. Below that they tickled. I poked sea anemones. I threw jellyfish at my brothers and sisters. I climbed on a rock that was big enough for an adult and two children and sailed a pirate ship. (It split apart the year we sold the beach house.)

After that, well, swimming pools are too small, too warm and taste wrong. The river is a decent substitute, but not nearly so interesting.

So, we went to the beach. I did find crabs and barnacles and seaweed, but we had too many things to show Tami and so we went on.

And I watched waves.
In other news: the difference between teenagers and any other younger age is that now I have to earn their love and loyalty. I prefer younger. I was never very good at people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home