Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Wondering why people are socially inept today

Every so often I encounter people who can't seem to hold a conversation, who answer without asking back, for example. Or answer in less than complete sentences. We are not talking exchange students here, we are talking people for whom English is the first language. Probably the only.

I wonder why they got that way, and I think I have part of the answer.

Tonight I went out to dinner with my husband, and there was a couple behind us with a young child (6?) who was playing games on his portable laptop.

My husband thought that these were educational games.

It has taken me all night (3 hours, 51 minutes) to come up with the right response. For those of you who don't know how fast I respond, this is not only record time, it completely shatters my previous record of 3 days, 8 hours. It is going to take some doing to top this, not to mention take me completely out of character.

The thing to teach a young child at a restaurant is not only to sit quietly, but to converse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home