Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Other religious buildings
















In the Prague castle I there was also a Romanesque church, St. George's Basilica and Convent. It was much simpler, I think I liked it better! There were still arches and statues, just not the detail that I saw in the Gothic cathedrals.
I also visited an visited the Old-New Synagogue n Prague. It was very simple, more like what I am used to. The only picture I was allowed to take was over the entrance to what we call the sanctuary. It is a vine, showing twelve roots. Other interesting tidbits include: the rabbi preaches from a lowered floor; it signifies humility and service. The interior was arched, but instead of keeping the 4 ribs, a 5th was added. The 4 ribs form a cross, and the Jews didn't want to see that.
I have heard that our architecture reflects how we view god. In cathedrals, God is on high, and his ministers preach from elevated pulpits that are attached to a column with hidden entrances. The Romanesque also was quite large, and the pulpit is elevated: the preacher is between God and Man. I think I could be comfortable in the Romanesque church because of its simplicity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home