Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Not Paint By Number

















Having been in the Czech Republic for a total of 4 days, I feel totally ungaulified to talk about architecture. But here is what I found:

Stone building with wonderful personalities
Fountains
Painted buildings
Modern glass buildings
Modern apartments

Sometimes mixed in together....

Soviet Era Architecture consisted of cement block with windows. When the Czech Republic become free, they painted things, and they weren't held back by ideology, that is for sure! The castle at Cesky Krumlov (picture 3) had walls painted to look like stone blocks. The top picture is the square at Cesky Budejovice, and most of the details are painted. (That blue building is not Soviet era). Almost everywhere I looked (outside of Prague; where I was it was mostly stone) I saw interesting things done with paint.
I should go find the interesting buildings in my own country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home