Friday, November 16, 2007

Money in Europe


After spending two weeks in Europe, I have decided that I like US money better. I don't have to get out my reading glasses to pay for something!
The top picture has Czech crowns. The 50 heller (one half crown), the 1 and the 2 are actually the same color. The half crown is aluminum with 1% magnesium and feels more like plastic, so that is easy. But I have to get out my glasses to figure out which is which for everything else.
In the Netherlands, I discovered that I couldn't determine the difference between the 1 and 2 Euro without my glasses. After a while (like when I took the picture at home) I found out that one is gold surrounded by silver and the other is silver surrounded by gold. But I am the type to mix things up. (I got on the wrong seat on the airplane because I can't tell the difference between row 5 and row 6. Here is my excuse: it was 3:00 in the morning body time, and I can't sleep on airplanes.) And the penny coins: Yes they are all different sizes, but if I only have 1 or 2 different ones, I still have to find my reading glasses!
It was so nice to spend 3 hours (insert sarcasm here) in JFK and buy a latte, some snacks and a water and be able to pay and determine I had the right change without looking for my glasses! (Even if the water was $3.40.)
I left home with $1000. I came home with 17 Czech Crowns (77 cents) and 33 Euros ($22) and $27. Not bad? I will wait and see if the dollar improves against the Euro before changing them.
In the meantime, it is 3:40 pacific time. My body thinks it is 12:40 in the afternoon. I'm wide awake, just had breakfast (late) and in order to find the chocolate I have to wake my husband up. Drat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home