Monday, December 03, 2007

religion







I have been to the National Cathedral in DC. It just does not compare to the ones I saw in Europe, I was impressed by the detail and the scale.

We just don't put detail in our churches. I grew up in the Episcopal church. We had stained glass windows and a few statues. Now I belong to a Presbyterian church. It has banners, wood details, and some stained glass.
Our sanctuaries are large, but not overly so. These are huge. I wonder what it would be like to worship in these buildings; I think the sound of modern instruments would not fill the space like the organs.
For the record: the top picture is the ceiling (somebody actually painted that!) of Sin Jan in den Bosch, Netherlands; the middle picture is the Marienkirche in Lubeck, Germany, which has been restored after allied bombing in WW2 (the sign did not attribute the destruction to us, which is very diplomatic of them); the bottom picture is the top of front of St. Vitus, in the Prague Castle in the Czech Republic. The stonework is amazing.
Maybe tomorrow I'll just post pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home