Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Kitchen of Babel




The French Kid decided that we have to cook a French recipe. This is not a problem, I can make a decent quiche, but his recipe for a quiche did not resemble anything I knew. So, after getting home from church, I announced that we were having a bake-off.

The French Kid panicked.

And called his mom.

Getting instructions from his mom over the computer, he put together a recipe that called for a yeast risen dough with a sour cream mixture (actually creme fraiche, but sour cream (Tillamook brand) is the closest thing we have), bacon and onions on top. While he is making bread dough for the first time ever, the Dutch Kid and I fried bacon. And taste tested it to make sure that it was good. The first test, of course, was inconclusive, and we had to try another. Then we had to call Jack for his opinion.

Instructions were given in French and translated into English. Just for fun we threw some German and Dutch phrases. A Spanish word even made in it at one point. (Callate, shut up)

At one point, the French Kid called for flour. So I went outside and brought in a Chrysanthemum. At least his mother laughed, the French Kid was still too panicky.

The dough looked...lumpy. Until someone (the Dutch Kid) who knew how to knead bread dough took over.
The official request for oven temperature was "the highest possible." Since the highest possible temperature on my oven is the cleaning temperature, I was pretty sure that this was really not required. He should know by now that I speak metric, and can even translate into Imperial Units. So they gave me the Celsius temperature (200) and within seconds I had it in Fahrenheit (392) -- before, I might add, the Dutch Kid had performed the calculation on his phone.

It took an hour for the French Kid to get his entry together and put it in the oven. It took me about 15 minutes to put together my quiche. That includes the time it took for the Dutch Kid to fry more bacon (blame the inconclusive taste testing).

The results: The Foreign Kids liked the French contribution, and adults from the US liked mine. I suspect that the judges were biased. An independent expert (my daughter) will have to break the tie. Unfortunately for the French kid, she is a picky eater and she will like mine better. (RIGHT CONNIE?)

The French Kid made a pretty good bread for a first timer.

There is lots of leftover onion. Looks like part of tomorrow's dinner is French onion soup.

1 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

'Kitchen of Babel' sounds like a mashup of a Star Trek episode with Iron Chef. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home