Friday, December 18, 2009

It has been a day


Actually, it has been a week. Or a month.

Let's start with the stove (estimated replacement, $800-900), the car ($1400, some sort of gasket, a battery and new tires), replacement appliances for the rentals($1000) and lost glasses, $375.

Yesterday the dog ate a little over a pound of chocolates (Chukar Cherries, to be exact, mixed milk and dark chocolate, plus dried fruit.) that was meant for Some One Else. She did not greet me enthusiastically when I got home, but she knew she misbehaved ("And I'll never do it again, I promise!") and I didn't think much until hours later she was still avoiding me. Actually she was lethargic and didn't walk right. So I took her to the pet emergency clinic, where, some 7 hours after eating them, she threw them all up.

The vet said her stomach was so full that she just couldn't process them. She also provided graphic details, like they could see the chocolate and the cherries. I said Checkers could have kept the cherries, she eats them from the tree in the backyard all the time.

She also said it was a waste of good chocolate.

I agreed. Not to mention $20.95.

When it was all over, the visit cost $301.77. (not including chocolate)

The grand total of extra expenses for a month where we DO NOT NEED extra expenses is just over $4000.

And most of the Christmas presents have been bought, so there.

I came home from this adventure to find everyone standing around in my street at 10:00 in the evening.

It has been snowing, raining, and freezing rain for a week. School has been delayed or closed due to slippery road conditions (and, true to form, the first cars to spin out have been SUV's!) So I am not parking in my driveway, which goes down from the street. It is a good thing too, because the tires would have frozen into the pool of water Tuesday night.

Just before I took the dog to the vet, I told my husband to pick up the exchange student at the school after her basketball game. I neglected to tell him it was an away game. So he waited outside the wrong school, where he picked up our daughter, who was helping broadcast the wrestling match. He drove her home, to find a the exchange student had gotten a ride in a car which was now sitting diagonally in our driveway, pointed towards the street. She had managed to spin the car almost in a full circle.

Logistics: it is a one-car garage, so the driveway is one car wide. There is a lamp post three feet off one side of the driveway. There at two medium sized trees 5 feet from both sides of the driveway. The driveway is two cars long, and, as I said, sloped toward the house.

This girl, who has only had her license for some 6 months, missed everything!

After some more fruitless maneuvers, she ended up backing onto the grass (missing the lamppost), and then my husband gunned the engine and drove up onto the street, missing the lampost, the two trees, (and did I mention the fire hydrant) and the house, but going over the curb. Onto a street that is sort of icy-slushy.

All this for about an inch of various kinds of precipitation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home