Tuesday, December 08, 2009

I broke the stove


The only reason to go to Sears when we first got married in 1981 was to get Kenmore brand appliances. They worked well, and for a long time. My washing machine (which was a wedding present) died in 2007. I had it fixed in 2006 and THEY STILL HAD PARTS! My dryer started smelling smoky last spring and I decided to replace it before it died catastrophically (since it might take the whole house with it and I did not want to replace all the quilts) (or, possibly, the cat and dog). My microwave is actually a Litton, my Dad chose that. (Litton and Kenmore are, or were duplicates.) At 28 1/2 years it is still working, although I will have to replace it soon.
Sears Service, however has pretty much always sucked. I called them in 1991? 1992? when the washing machine died with a load of diapers in it. They promised to fit me in the schedule in 5 days (not including the weekend). I found someone else who could come out that day, and had the machine up and running that day. When I called Sears to cancel the service, they were uninterested in why. I told them anyway. Politely.
No one I have ever talked to has ever praised Sears Service.
My stove is a Kenmore, and I got it in 2000 when we redid the house. I just killed it all by myself, after Thanksgiving dinner was done and I was working on the turkey stock.
Usually we dump all the bones into the turkey roaster pan, fill it with water, set it on top of the stove, turn on two burners and cook it for several hours. Then we throw out all the bones and big bits and save the stock for chicken soup, which the kids would greet with a less than enthusiastic response. It took 20 minutes for the stuff to start boiling. Just after I turned the burners down to simmer, we heard 3 popping sounds.

The stove now has 3 large cracks and several major glass chips which are no longer a contiguous part of the stove. (see picture)

Data:
There was turkey grease on the stove.
The turkey roasting pan has a rim on the bottom, and this was the only thing that actually contacted the burners.
Parts of the enamel surface of the roasting pan were found in the turkey stock.
There are burned bits on the bottom of the pan which may be turkey or pan or both.

Hypothesis:
The pan, and after that liquid, are fairly good heat transfer media. Grease is also, but could only transfer it to air (not a good heat conductor, or you'd burn your hands in the 350 degree air in your oven as well as on the pan and racks). After I turned the heat down, the grease was able to transfer heat to the burner. There was a colder spot under the pan and a hot spot under the grease. The heat differential was too much for the glass.
While I have no desire to test the hypothesis on other burners, I do want a completely working stove top. So I called Sears Service. I was told that a service call would be $129 (plus tax) plus the cost of parts, and that the part for my stove would be about $250. Given these numbers, service was therefore scheduled. At that time I specifically asked the representative if he needed the model and serial number of my stove. He said that he had that information.

The repairman came out to my home and copied the model and serial number off my oven and told me that the replacement part was going to be $579.58, plus $48.11 sales tax. In addition, he told me that the phone representative will promise repair when no such repair could be offered, and that the numbers they quote on the phone (with the exception of the cost of repair call) hardly ever match the actual cost.

The difference in price means that I am now going to consider a new stove rather than repairing the old one.

This means that I have paid $139.71 to have somebody else read numbers off the stove and look up a part number, and tell me its cost.
Not only does Sears Service Still Suck, they think I am illiterate, unintelligent and gullible. (For those that are illiterate, unintelligent and gullible, that means I can't read, I don't know anything and I can't think.)
It is now the 5th day since I originally complained. I guess they tink I don no nothin bout fones, neethr. Or emales.

1 Comments:

At 1:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Marion,

It is disappointing to read about the service that you have received from Sears over the past years. I can assure you that your business is valued at Sears and the service you received is not acceptable. Our goal at Sears is to not only meet but exceed our expectations. My name is David and I work for the Sears Cares executive team and we want you to know we are here for assistance. At your convenience please contact my office via email at searscares@searshc.com so we can further discuss your concerns. Please provide us a contact number and we will contact you at your convenience. In your email please refer to this posting
Thank you,

David V.
Senior Case Manager
Sears Cares

 

Post a Comment

<< Home