Sunday, May 10, 2009

A good Mother's Day






It is Mother's Day, and I don't have to work at all.

OK, I did have to hold the Salmon while my husband put mesquite wood on the grill. At one point he called me to put the dishes away, then remembered exactly what day it was and put them away himself. I probably should have stepped in; when someone else puts away the dishes things end up in Strange Places. I just found a bowl that my sister put away in February. It only took 3 months!! (Don't worry Annie, we found it!)

The menu was mesquite grilled salmon with cucumber dill sauce. (1/2 sour cream, 1/2 mayonnaise, dill until it looks like enough, then add finely chopped cucumber without skin or seeds), salad, and desert is brownies that we eat before they are cool. Plus the chocolate that I got as gifts. Plus I licked the brownie bowl. I have enough chocolate to keep me happy for a while. Three days, at least. The wine was rose' d'anjou from Domaines des Charmes that our Czech girl brought over in February.

The other half of the salmon will be for dinner tomorrow, it will have a strawberry sauce that I found here: http://www.thismamacooks.com/2008/06/strawberries-ar.html We were inspired by the strawberry sauce we got at a local restaurant. And the rest of the wine.

And I sewed. I have been working on this block of the month since January. The top picture is what it would look like in March if I sewed the corners on, but I can't yet because the rest of it sticks out. I need to make 24 different stars (or more, because I changed the layout) like the second picture, and 72 sawtooth stars (or more, ditto), all different. (Kind of like little twisty passages; if you can remember THAT computer game.) Then, in October, I make a whole bunch of flying geese (160?) (or more) and a sew it all together. I think. The sawtooth stars are 4 inches finished, and the ones pictured are 6 inches finished. Forcing me to be more precise than usual! The one in the top left looks funny because it refuses to lay flat. I will let it have its childish rebellion now, it doesn't realize that it will have to conform next fall.
Right now the husband is off with the daughter practicing driving. In my car of course, the other has standard transmission and no power steering.
In other news, I inherited my family's grandfather clock when my mom passed away 17 years ago. We drove it over the mountains and, for some reason, it wouldn't run! There just happened to be a guy making housecalls next door, so my husband called him over and now it is running! Of course, it loses about 1/2 minute per hour. Which is an hour and 20 minutes every week...but I am really enjoying hearing it bong.
But wait, there's more! My son-in-law might be employed again!
Tomorrow it is back to reality...I have to finish paying bills for the month. And wondering what time it really is every half hour (less 1/4 minute). But right now I think I will find this month's Analog magazine and a couple pieces of chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home