Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Capri

 

After walking around cities for a few days, inhabited or otherwise, I need to get away.  I don't like the noise, I don't like the traffic  (let me remind you we are talking about Italian traffic here!!!), I don't like crowds.  When my friend suggested Capri, I said sure!  An island in the Mediterranean!  Something I would do if the opportunity dropped in my lap, and it did.

It was a good thing we were there in the off season, because our hosts at the Antico Monastero said that we cannot imagine just how crowded it is in the summer.  By the way, if you want to go there, here is their website:  http://www.anticomonasteroanacapri.com/  If you don't speak Italian, you can also book it on tripadvisor in English.  The family was just wonderful, offering all sorts of advice on activities and souvenirs and how to get off the island to catch a train in Naples at 8:00.  (Which we missed, but that was our fault.)

 

Capri consists of flat areas where the towns are, and vertical limestone cliffs, inspiring me to look down and quote "Behold, the Cliffs of Insanity!" You can imagine the underwater topography.  Hence the lighthouse.  We were told that there were some stairs down to the lighthouse...but our knees refused to consider them.  Never mind coming up again.



You can ride a chairlift to the highest part of the island, where we encountered fog.  For some reason, they wanted you to remain quiet on the chair, which did have a (non-locking) bar to keep you from falling out.  However, this sign did not have the "no" slash on it, I wish they would make up their mind.  I did not detect any skeletons on the pathway below the chair, so at least they deal with accidents promptly.


This almost gives the impression that there is another island!

 
 
You are not allowed to go to an island in the Mediterranean and not take a picture of turquoise seas.  This was taken with my telephoto.  I never got close enough to swim.  (Something about being there on the off season, with less crowds...)


 
 
And finally, some vegetation I did not expect to find:
 
 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home