Tuesday, May 17, 2011

recipe for disaster, part 2





















In a word, that recipe is rain. It could have destroyed the whole prom experience, but the timing was right. The next day, I headed to Leavenworth to take 6 kids horseback riding.



At 8:30 am, the wrangler called. It was pouring down rain, do we still want to come? I asked if the horses were OK with this, and he assured me that they would be. So I said we would come and see if the rain let up; if nothing else we could wander around Leavenworth for a while. I asked the 3 at my house if they still wanted to ride, and was assured they did. I called the three I was picking up a hour from my house if they still wanted to ride, and was assured by the 14 year old that they did.



So we headed off. When we hit rain south of Yakima, Stephan asked why I thought this was a good idea. (I told him it was that or drag him to church.) Inwardly I groaned...


At the top of Manastash Ridge, the wrangler called and said the rain was letting up and he was going to go ahead and saddle the horses. Inwardly I breathed a sigh of relief.


At the top of Blewett Pass, the rain let up. mostly. Inwardly I breathed another sigh of relief. (2 to 1 in favor)


By the time we got to the stables, it was a steady rain. I groaned. (tie. Which is like kissing your sister. You won't understand this if you are French, because you kiss everybody!)


So they saddled up and left. It took about 1/2 hour to saddle up for a 1 1/2 hour ride. 15 minutes after they left, the rain let up. (3-2).


15 minutes before they got back, it started coming down even harder. (tie. again.)


They had 1 waterproof jacket between them, contributed by my husband. The girl from the Netherlands (a country that gets a lot of rain) spoke up for it first. The boy from the Netherlands did not, which tells you something about the thinking ability of teenage boys. (The 14 yearold boy I spoke to on the phone neglected to inform his parents that it was raining, or there might have been more waterproof jackets.) So, I envisioned 6 drowned rats: cold, tired, hungry and complaining. As you can see from the pictures, what I got were 6 drowned rats, cold, tired, hungry, complaining and totally pumped up about the whole thing!



Success!



Did I mention that it never rains on this side of the state?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home